Apart from the new Pencil sketch 5 effect and the addition of simplified Chinese to the list of supported languages (thank you Hebeijianke), I have also slightly tweaked the Emergence effect. If you double-click on the value to the right of the "number of iterations" slidebar (see screenshot below) the number will become MAX. This will actually treble the number of polygons. It will take a long time processing, but the result might be worth it.
By the way, this trick also works for the Painting 7 effect:
Apart from a lot of behind the scene modifications, here are the main changes:
- new Pencil Sketch 5 effect
- Simplified Chinese language now available
- improved Automatic contrast and sharpening (CTRL+A)
Here is an example of the new Pencil Sketch 5 effect, merged with Painting 7 and Painting 5 (for the sky). Click on the image for full size view:
This version is an early beta and there is still a lot of work to be done. The elusive bug which only occurs on some Windows XP machines (and on none of the ones I tested of course) is still there (error message 'débordement d'entier'), so I might have to revert to version 2.25 and rewrite everything up to 2.31...
But at least you can play with the new Pencil Sketch 5 filter.
Also the next version will be translated in Chinese.
I have also uploaded a new video tutorial, showing how to apply multiple effects on an image, using the manual brush and some creative use of the clipboard and undo/redo.
Here is the video (opens in a new window):
So, what's new in version 2.30?
- new "Pencil sketch 4" effect (black & white or color)
- improved "Pen & Ink sketch 1" effect
- some interface improvements
- ini file bug fix (the ini file could not be saved on some versions of Windows, due to UAC)
- for Windows 7 users, a progress report is now shown in the taskbar application icon (useful if you minimize FotoSketcher during a long process). This idea was suggested by a user. Thanks ;-)
- the optional FotoSketcher toolbar setup has also been simplified and clarified
Here is an example of the new Pencil Sketch 4 effect:
The main changes in this release are:
- new "Emergence" stylized effect (looks like a mosaic or shattered glass)
- 2 new languages (Hungarian and Turkish, thanks Zoltán and Ufuk)
- some interface improvements (larger menu fonts, prettier trackbars and new background pattern)
- many bug fixes (I guarantee that there are plenty left!)
I hope you'll enjoy creating art with this new version ;-)
If no showstopping bug is found, I will officially release version 2.25 in the next few days. The main changes are the new Emergence effect, two new languages (Hungarian - thanks Zityisoft and Turkish - thanks U. UĞUR), a few cosmetic improvements and some behind the scenes changes.
Here is an example of the new Emergence stylized effect (click on image for full view):
Since making FotoSketcher version 2.25 beta available, some users were reporting crashes when trying to launch the program.
Despite testing on 6 different PCs, I had been unable to reproduce the problem.
Therefore, I added some code to do exception handling and thanks to the help of many users (and especially Peter from British Columbia!) I finally tracked down the problem to some corrupt components. For once, my code was not the culprit! After replacing these components, the bug finally disappeared. The current beta version can be downloaded here: http://www.fotosketcher.com/FotoSketcher_beta.exe
I still have a few changes to make, but I should soon be able to upload a release candidate of version 2.25. Stay tuned!