Wednesday, November 5, 2008

FotoSketcher for Linux users

Hi all,

Even though FotoSketcher is being developed (in Turbo DELPHI) primarily for Windows PCs, I had been wondering for a time whether it would run in Linux using the famous and free emulator WINE.

A Linux user (hi Alexis!) has just confirmed that FotoSketcher runs fine under WINE.

This is great news, so if you want to use FotoSketcher in Linux, just grab WINE from the official site: http://www.winehq.org/

I am also told that Mac users can run WINE (and therefore FotoSketcher), but I don't know how to proceed. Don't hesitate to respond to this post if you have any success.

Cheers,

David

3 comments:

ssepan said...

I sucessfully installed FotoSketcher 3.80 on Linux Mint 20.2 (Cinnamon).

After seeing this post, I started by looking in the package manager gui for this distro, and found an entry for Wine 5.x. However, the comments in the package mgr suggested going to wiki.winehq.org/ubuntu to locate a more current copy (6.x) in a current repository. I followed the directions on that page and chose the stable branch to install. After doing the install (and running wine at the command line once to let it install mono and gecko), I also installed playonlinux.
I used playonlinux to create a 64-bit virtual-drive, and then selected the installation EXE to run. Per the advice of either the Wine setup or PlayOnLinux, I can't remember which, I chose NOT to allow the setup to start the app at the end. Instead, I let the playonlinux wizard finish by choosing to create a desktop shortcut to the executable. I then started FotoSketcher from the desktop shortcut.
Running a painting now, but so far so good!

David said...

Hi ssepan,

Thank you very much for the detailed walkthrough!

Best regards,

David

Timeship said...

Unfortunately, VR Boxes and Wine use shared RAM memory, and so the rest of your Linux programs end up with only 50% of your resources (and/or split hard drive space). We need FS for Linux! So, let's start a crowd-funding project to help its creator. Spread the word, talk to Linux forum programmers and enthusiasts, and let's do it the way SO many other Win/Mac-only applications were made for Linux.

Godspeed!