Hi all,
The 4.60 Release Candidate has been updated with a feature I have been wanting to add for a long time: FotoSketcher can now load custom brushes directly from Photoshop .abr files.
Until now, using custom brushes meant finding .abr files online, extracting the individual brushes as PNG images with a separate tool, and then loading those PNGs into FotoSketcher. It worked, but it was fiddly and put a lot of people off.
That extra step is now gone. Open an .abr file (or select several at once) and FotoSketcher reads the brushes straight from it. A selection window lets you preview every brush, tick or untick the ones you want, and confirm. Only the brushes you keep are loaded, so you are not stuck with an entire pack if you only like a handful.
If you want to build your own mixed sets from different .abr collections, there is a "Save PNGs" button that exports the selected brushes as individual PNG files. You can then combine them into a custom folder and load that folder any time, giving you a personal brush library tailored to your style.
There are thousands of free .abr brush packs available online (watercolour splashes, dry media, ink splatters, foliage, grunge textures and more), and they are now just a click away in FotoSketcher.
The updated Release Candidate is available at the same download link: https://fotosketcher.com/beta/FotoSketcher_4.60_RC.zip
As always, any feedback is welcome!
Happy painting,
David

4 comments:
Hi David,
This new update is awesome! Being able to load .abr files directly through the “Load Custom Brush” option and use more than one brush at a time is really useful.
However, after loading a custom brush from an `.abr` file, everything works fine at first. After using the Manual Brush a few times with the loaded custom brush, I started getting access violation errors. I also get similar errors when trying to Undo/Redo afterward.
The three errors I’ve encountered are:
> Violation d'accès à l'adresse 00007FF741875384 dans le module 'FotoSketcher.exe' (décalage BC5384). Lecture de l'adresse 0000000000000000.
> Violation d'accès à l'adresse 00007FF7415AF184 dans le module 'FotoSketcher.exe' (décalage 8FF184). Ecriture de l'adresse 0000000000000588.
> Violation d'accès à l'adresse 00007FF741874C12 dans le module 'FotoSketcher.exe' (décalage BC4C12). Lecture de l'adresse FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
Hopefully this helps with debugging the 4.60 RC. Thanks for the great update!
Hi Jack, good find, thx! I could not reproduce the bug, so I'm flying blind here, but I think I may have a stale pointer after closing the load abr window. I've fixed that, hopefully it will no longer crash on your PC. It's the same download link as before it you want to test.
Hi David,
I tested the updated version, and everything is working fine now. I’ve used the Manual Brush with the loaded custom .abr brush and also tested Undo/Redo, and I haven’t encountered any errors or crashes.
Looks like the fix worked perfectly on my PC. Thanks a lot for the quick fix and for the great update!
Great news, thank you for the feedback :)
Post a Comment