Sunday, September 13, 2026

Getting v4.60 ready (windows and macOS)

Hi all,

I was hoping to officially release v4.60 this weekend, but the macOS version still has quite a few bugs - a side effect of moving much of the visual processing over to Metal for better performance. I'm about 95% there, but it needs extensive testing and I'd rather not ship a buggy binary.

So please bear with me a little longer. In the meantime, here's a glimpse of the brand new Ballpoint Pen effect coming in v4.60.

All the best,

David


 

7 comments:

Jack said...

Hi David, I’m really excited about the new Ballpoint Pen effect in v4.60. It looks fantastic, and I’m really looking forward to trying it out. Take your time with the release, it’s definitely worth waiting for a polished and stable version. Can’t wait to see the final release!

David García said...

This new filter looks great! I can't wait to play with it. Thanks, David!

David said...

Thanks David, thanks Jack. I still have an app freeze when applying a frame on macOS and I can't pinpoint why. But hopefully this is one of the last remaining Metal related bugs. The Windows version seems stable, thankfully :)

Casey said...

Love that ballpoint pen setting!

Thoughts - any chance of a variable "jitter" or wobble to the line. It would add an element of human drawn rather than computer drawn to the pictures.

Dunno how easy/hard that would be to implement, it might be pretty difficult.

But it's damn amazing right off the bat!

David said...

Hi Casey, thank you for your comment. Yes, the fifth slider of the ballpoint pen effect controls the precision: 0 is messy (lines overshoot, contours are more wobbly and don't exactly follow the direction of edges) - 100 is clinical precision (very clean, but looks more machine-like).

Casey said...

AWESOME!!!

David said...

😊